2006 Florida Statutes
Establishment of enhanced penalty zones; designation.
316.1893 Establishment of enhanced penalty zones; designation.--
(1) It is the intent of the Legislature to prevent vehicular fatalities by prioritizing enforcement on segments of highways that have a high incidence of speeding-related crashes. Enforcement shall also be prioritized during the times that speeding-related crashes most often occur. The enforcement of these zones shall be in a way that maximizes public safety.
(2) No later than July 1, 2007, the Department of Transportation shall identify enhanced penalty zones on state roads in Brevard, Duval, and Palm Beach Counties as a pilot program in an effort to reduce speeding-related crashes on state roads. This pilot program shall stand repealed July 1, 2010, unless reviewed and saved from repeal through reenactment by the Legislature.
(3) The Department of Transportation, pursuant to the authority granted under s. 316.187, is authorized to set such maximum and minimum speed limits for travel within enhanced penalty zones as it deems safe and advisable.
(4) The Department of Transportation shall adopt a uniform system of traffic control devices for use in conjunction with enhanced penalty zones pursuant to the authority granted under s. 316.0745
(5) A person may not drive a vehicle on a roadway designated as an enhanced penalty zone at a speed greater than that posted in the enhanced penalty zone in accordance with this section. A person who violates the speed limit within a legally posted enhanced penalty zone established under this section commits a moving violation, punishable as provided in chapter 318.
(6) The Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles shall annually publish the date, time, and number of citations issued both in and outside enhanced penalty zones and shall make available statistical information based thereon as to the number and circumstances of traffic citations inside an enhanced penalty zone.
History.--s. 1, ch. 2006-296.