2006 Florida Statutes
License application; periods of operation; bond, conversion of permit.
550.01215 License application; periods of operation; bond, conversion of permit.--
(1) Each permitholder shall annually, during the period between December 15 and January 4, file in writing with the division its application for a license to conduct performances during the next state fiscal year. Each application shall specify the number, dates, and starting times of all performances which the permitholder intends to conduct. It shall also specify which performances will be conducted as charity or scholarship performances. In addition, each application for a license shall include, for each permitholder which elects to operate a cardroom, the dates and periods of operation the permitholder intends to operate the cardroom or, for each thoroughbred permitholder which elects to receive or rebroadcast out-of-state races after 7 p.m., the dates for all performances which the permitholder intends to conduct. Permitholders shall be entitled to amend their applications through February 28.
(2) After the first license has been issued to a permitholder, all subsequent annual applications for a license shall be accompanied by proof, in such form as the division may by rule require, that the permitholder continues to possess the qualifications prescribed by this chapter, and that the permit has not been disapproved at a later election.
(3) Except as provided in s. 550.5251 for thoroughbred racing, the division shall issue each license no later than March 15. Each permitholder shall operate all performances at the date and time specified on its license. The division shall have the authority to approve minor changes in racing dates after a license has been issued. The division may approve changes in racing dates after a license has been issued when there is no objection from any operating permitholder located within 50 miles of the permitholder requesting the changes in operating dates. In the event of an objection, the division shall approve or disapprove the change in operating dates based upon the impact on operating permitholders located within 50 miles of the permitholder requesting the change in operating dates. In making the determination to change racing dates, the division shall take into consideration the impact of such changes on state revenues.
(4) In the event that a permitholder fails to operate all performances specified on its license at the date and time specified, the division shall hold a hearing to determine whether to fine or suspend the permitholder's license, unless such failure was the direct result of fire, strike, war, or other disaster or event beyond the ability of the permitholder to control. Financial hardship to the permitholder shall not, in and of itself, constitute just cause for failure to operate all performances on the dates and at the times specified.
(5) In the event that performances licensed to be operated by a permitholder are vacated, abandoned, or will not be used for any reason, any permitholder shall be entitled, pursuant to rules adopted by the division, to apply to conduct performances on the dates for which the performances have been abandoned. The division shall issue an amended license for all such replacement performances which have been requested in compliance with the provisions of this chapter and division rules.
(6) Any permit which was converted from a jai alai permit to a greyhound permit may be converted to a jai alai permit at any time if the permitholder never conducted greyhound racing or if the permitholder has not conducted greyhound racing for a period of 12 consecutive months.
History.--s. 5, ch. 92-348; s. 2, ch. 95-390; ss. 2, 16, ch. 96-364; s. 27, ch. 97-94; s. 1, ch. 98-190; s. 1, ch. 98-401; s. 73, ch. 2000-158; s. 4, ch. 2000-354.