- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2006 Florida Statutes
Group contracts and plans of self-insurance must meet group requirements.
627.551 Group contracts and plans of self-insurance must meet group requirements.--
(1)(a) A life insurance policy insuring the lives of more than one individual may be delivered or issued for delivery in this state only if the policy is issued to one of the groups specified in ss. 627.552-627.5575, and only if the policy complies with the other applicable provisions of this part.
(b) A plan of self-insurance providing benefits in the event of death to residents of this state may be established or maintained only if the plan complies with the applicable provisions of this part relating to the rights of individuals to specified benefits and coverages.
(2) Subsection (1) does not apply to life insurance policies or plans of self-insurance:
(a) Insuring or providing benefits only to individuals related by blood, marriage, or legal adoption.
(b) Insuring or providing benefits only to individuals who have a common interest through ownership of a business enterprise, or a substantial legal interest or equity therein, and who are actively engaged in the management of the business enterprise.
(c) Insuring or providing benefits only to individuals otherwise having an insurable interest in each other's lives.
(3) As used in this part:
(a) "Policy," "insurance policy," and "group life insurance policy" include plans of self-insurance providing death benefits.
(b) "Amount of insurance" and "insurance" include the death benefits provided under a plan of self-insurance.
(c) "Insurer" includes any person or governmental unit providing a plan of self-insurance.
(4) A nongovernmental self-insurance plan providing life insurance may not be contributory by participants.
(5) This section does not apply to any plan which is established or maintained by an individual employer in accordance with the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974. This subsection does not allow an authorized insurer to issue a group life insurance policy or certificate which does not comply with this part.
History.--s. 524, ch. 59-205; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 1, ch. 77-457; ss. 3, 10, ch. 80-341; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 421, 448, 809(2nd), ch. 82-243; ss. 55, 79, ch. 82-386; s. 5, ch. 83-203; s. 16, ch. 83-288; ss. 46, 114, ch. 92-318.