2006 Florida Statutes
Blanket health insurance; eligible groups.
627.659 Blanket health insurance; eligible groups.--Blanket health insurance is that form of health insurance which covers special groups of individuals as enumerated in one of the following subsections:
(1) Under a policy or contract issued to any common carrier, which shall be deemed the policyholder, covering a group defined as all persons who may become passengers on such common carrier.
(2) Under a policy or contract issued to an employer, who shall be deemed the policyholder, covering any group of employees defined by reference to exceptional hazards incident to such employment, or under a policy or contract issued to an employer when all employees are covered under any such policy or contract.
(3) Under a policy issued to a school, district school system, college, university, or other institution of learning, or to the official or officials of such institution insuring the students and teachers. Any such policy issued may insure the spouse or dependent children of the insured student.
(4) Under a policy or contract issued in the name of any volunteer fire department or first aid group or other such volunteer group, which shall be deemed the policyholder, covering all of the members of such department or group.
(5) Under a policy or contract issued to an organization, or branch thereof, such as the Boy Scouts of America, the Future Farmers of America, religious or educational bodies, or similar organizations, or to an individual, firm, or corporation, holding or operating meetings such as summer camps or other meetings for religious, instructive, or recreational purposes, covering all those attending such camps or meetings, including counselors, instructors, and persons in other administrative positions.
(6) Under a policy or contract issued in the name of a newspaper, which shall be deemed the policyholder, covering independent contractor newspaper delivery persons.
(7) Under a policy or contract issued in the name of a health care provider, which shall be deemed the policyholder, covering patients. This coverage may be offered to patients of a health care provider but may not be made a condition of receiving care. The benefits provided under such policy or contract shall not be assignable to any health care provider.
(8) Under a policy or contract issued to any health maintenance organization licensed pursuant to the provisions of part I of chapter 641, which shall be deemed the policyholder, covering the subscribers of the health maintenance organization. Payment may be made directly to the health maintenance organization by the blanket health insurer for health care services rendered by providers pursuant to the health care delivery plan.
History.--s. 591, ch. 59-205; s. 2, ch. 65-10; s. 1, ch. 69-300; s. 1, ch. 75-10; s. 3, ch. 76-168; s. 1, ch. 77-457; ss. 2, 3, ch. 81-318; ss. 509, 523, 809(2nd), ch. 82-243; s. 79, ch. 82-386; s. 7, ch. 84-235; s. 5, ch. 89-190; s. 114, ch. 92-318; s. 9, ch. 97-93.