2006 Florida Statutes
Determining paternity of child with mother under 16 years of age when impregnated.
742.107 Determining paternity of child with mother under 16 years of age when impregnated.--
(1) The Legislature intends to facilitate the criminal prosecution of persons 21 years of age or older who have impregnated a child under 16 years of age by ensuring that paternity is determined for a dependent child whose mother was impregnated while under 16 years of age.
(2) Whenever paternity has not been established for a dependent child whose mother was impregnated with the child while under 16 years of age, the mother shall be required to identify the father of the child and cooperate as provided in s. 409.2572, including Human Leukocyte Antigen or other scientific tests.
(3) Whenever the information provided by a mother who was impregnated while under 16 years of age indicates that the alleged father of the child was 21 years of age or older at the time of conception of the child, the Department of Revenue or the Department of Children and Family Services shall advise the applicant or recipient of public assistance that she is required to cooperate with law enforcement officials in the prosecution of the alleged father.
(4) When the information provided by the applicant or recipient who was impregnated while under age 16 indicates that such person is the victim of child abuse as provided in s. 827.04(3), the Department of Revenue or the Department of Children and Family Services shall notify the county sheriff's office or other appropriate agency or official and provide information needed to protect the child's health or welfare.
(5) The confidentiality of any records under this chapter, relating to determination of paternity, does not prohibit the sharing of information for the purpose of cooperating with an ongoing criminal investigation.
History.--s. 5, ch. 96-215; s. 81, ch. 99-3; s. 282, ch. 99-8.