2007 Florida Statutes
Exemption of vehicles transporting certain persons who have disabilities from payment of parking fees and penalties.
316.1964 Exemption of vehicles transporting certain persons who have disabilities from payment of parking fees and penalties.--
(1) A state agency, county, municipality, or any agency thereof, may not exact any fee for parking on the public streets or highways or in any metered parking space from the driver of a vehicle that displays a disabled parking permit or a license plate issued under s. 316.1958 or s. 320.0848 or a license plate issued under s. 320.084, s. 320.0842, s. 320.0843, or s. 320.0845 if the vehicle is transporting the person who has a disability and to whom the disabled parking permit or license plate was issued.
(2) The driver of a vehicle that is parked as provided in subsection (1) may not be penalized for parking, except in clearly defined bus loading zones, fire zones, or access aisles adjacent to the parking spaces for persons who have disabilities, or in areas posted as "No Parking" zones or as emergency vehicle zones, or for parking in excess of the posted time limits.
(3) Notwithstanding subsection (1), when a state, county, or municipal parking facility or lot is being used in connection with an event at a convention center, cruise-port terminal, sports stadium, sports arena, coliseum, or auditorium, the parking facility may charge a person whose vehicle displays such a parking permit a parking fee in the same manner and amount as it charges other persons.
(4) A parking facility that restricts the number of consecutive days that a vehicle may be parked may impose that same restriction on a vehicle that displays a disabled parking permit issued to a person who has a disability.
(5) Notwithstanding subsection (1), when an on-street parking meter restricts the duration of time that a vehicle may be parked, a vehicle properly displaying a disabled parking permit is allowed a maximum of 4 hours at no charge; however, local governments may extend such time by local ordinance.
(6) A parking facility that leases a parking space for a duration that exceeds 1 week is not required to reduce the fee for a lessee who is disabled.
(7) An airport that owns, operates, or leases parking facilities, or any other parking facilities that are used for the purpose of air travel, may charge for parking vehicles that display a disabled parking permit or license tag issued under s. 316.1958, s. 320.084, s. 320.0842, s. 320.0843, s. 320.0845, or s. 320.0848 However, the governing body of each publicly owned or publicly operated airport must grant free parking to any vehicle with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls, or for utilization by a person who has a disability or whose vehicle is displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit.
(8) Notwithstanding subsection (1), a county, municipality, or any agency thereof may charge for parking in a facility or lot that provides timed parking spaces any vehicle that displays a disabled parking permit, except that any vehicle with specialized equipment, such as ramps, lifts, or foot or hand controls, for use by a person who has a disability, or any vehicle that is displaying the Florida Toll Exemption permit, is exempt from any parking fees.
History.--s. 1, ch. 71-135; s. 1, ch. 76-31; s. 1, ch. 77-83; s. 3, ch. 79-82; s. 23, ch. 90-330; s. 5, ch. 96-200; s. 3, ch. 98-202.
Note.--Former s. 316.163.