- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2009 Florida Statutes
550.505 Nonwagering permits.--
(1)(a) Except as provided in this section, permits and licenses issued by the division are intended to be used for pari-mutuel wagering operations in conjunction with horseraces, dograces, or jai alai performances.
(b) Subject to the requirements of this section, the division is authorized to issue permits for the conduct of horseracing meets without pari-mutuel wagering or any other form of wagering being conducted in conjunction therewith. Such permits shall be known as nonwagering permits and may be issued only for horseracing meets. A horseracing permitholder need not obtain an additional permit from the division for conducting nonwagering racing under this section, but must apply to the division for the issuance of a license under this section. The holder of a nonwagering permit is prohibited from conducting pari-mutuel wagering or any other form of wagering in conjunction with racing conducted under the permit. Nothing in this subsection prohibits horseracing for any stake, purse, prize, or premium.
(c) The holder of a nonwagering permit is exempt from the provisions of s. 550.105 and is exempt from the imposition of daily license fees and admission tax.
(2)(a) Any person not prohibited from holding any type of pari-mutuel permit under s. 550.1815 shall be allowed to apply to the division for a nonwagering permit. The applicant must demonstrate that the location or locations where the nonwagering permit will be used are available for such use and that the applicant has the financial ability to satisfy the reasonably anticipated operational expenses of the first racing year following final issuance of the nonwagering permit. If the racing facility is already built, the application must contain a statement, with reasonable supporting evidence, that the nonwagering permit will be used for horseracing within 1 year after the date on which it is granted. If the facility is not already built, the application must contain a statement, with reasonable supporting evidence, that substantial construction will be started within 1 year after the issuance of the nonwagering permit.
(b) The division may conduct an eligibility investigation to determine if the applicant meets the requirements of paragraph (a).
(3)(a) Upon receipt of a nonwagering permit, the permitholder must apply to the division before June 1 of each year for an annual nonwagering license for the next succeeding calendar year. Such application must set forth the days and locations at which the permitholder will conduct nonwagering horseracing and must indicate any changes in ownership or management of the permitholder occurring since the date of application for the prior license.
(b) On or before August 1 of each year, the division shall issue a license authorizing the nonwagering permitholder to conduct nonwagering horseracing during the succeeding calendar year during the period and for the number of days set forth in the application, subject to all other provisions of this section.
(c) The division may conduct an eligibility investigation to determine the qualifications of any new ownership or management interest in the permit.
(4) Upon the approval of racing dates by the division, the division shall issue an annual nonwagering license to the nonwagering permitholder.
(5) Only horses registered with an established breed registration organization, which organization shall be approved by the division, shall be raced at any race meeting authorized by this section.
(6) The division may order any person participating in a nonwagering meet to cease and desist from participating in such meet if the division determines the person to be not of good moral character in accordance with s. 550.1815 The division may order the operators of a nonwagering meet to cease and desist from operating the meet if the division determines the meet is being operated for any illegal purpose.
History.--s. 45, ch. 92-348; s. 14, ch. 95-390.