- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2009 Florida Statutes
624.031 "Self-insurance" defined.--For the purposes of ss. 627.551 and 627.651, self-insurance includes any plan, fund, or program which is communicated or the benefits of which are described in writing to employees and which has heretofore been or is hereafter established by or on behalf of any individual, partnership, association, corporation, trustee, governmental unit, employer, or employee organization, or any other organized group, for the purpose of providing for employees or their beneficiaries through such individual, partnership, association, corporation, trustee, governmental unit, employer, or employee organization, or any other group, benefits in the event of sickness, accident, disability, or death. Self-insurance does not include:
(1) Any plan with respect to which benefits are insured or reinsured by an insurance company or are provided by a health maintenance organization.
(2) Any plan covering fewer than 10 employees in this state.
(3) Any plan established and maintained as a pension or profit-sharing plan for the exclusive benefit of employees and their beneficiaries.
(4) Any plan established and maintained for the purpose of complying with any workers' compensation law.
(5) Any plan administered by or for the Federal Government.
(6) Any plan with respect to payments by an employer continuing an employee's regular compensation, or part thereof, during an illness or disability.
(7) Any plan which is primarily for the purpose of providing first aid care and treatment, at a dispensary of an employer, for injury or sickness of employees while engaged in their employment.
(8) Any plan established and maintained for the purpose of providing malpractice coverage or professional liability coverage.
History.--ss. 2, 10, ch. 80-341; s. 2, ch. 81-318; s. 809(1st), ch. 82-243; s. 1, ch. 82-386; s. 77, ch. 83-216; ss. 3, 187, 188, ch. 91-108; s. 4, ch. 91-429.