(1) Every insured who in this state procures or causes to be procured or continues or renews insurance from another state or country with an unauthorized foreign or alien insurer legitimately licensed in that jurisdiction, or any self-insurer who in this state so procures or continues excess loss, catastrophe, or other insurance, upon a subject of insurance resident, located, or to be performed within this state, other than insurance procured through a surplus lines agent pursuant to the Surplus Lines Law of this state or exempted from tax under s. 626.932(4), shall, within 30 days after the date such insurance was so procured, continued, or renewed, file a report of the same with the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office in writing and upon forms designated by the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office and furnished to such an insured upon request, or in a computer readable format as determined by the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office. The report shall show the name and address of the insured or insureds, the name and address of the insurer, the subject of the insurance, a general description of the coverage, the amount of premium currently charged therefor, and such additional pertinent information as is reasonably requested by the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office.
(2) Any insurance on a risk located in this state in an unauthorized insurer legitimately licensed in another state or country procured through solicitations, negotiations, or an application occurring or made outside this state shall be deemed to be insurance procured, continued, or renewed in this state within the intent of subsection (1).
(3) For the general support of the government of this state, there is levied upon the obligation, chose in action, or right represented by the premium charged for such insurance a tax at the rate of 5 percent of the gross amount of such premium and a 0.3 percent service fee pursuant to s. 626.9325. If the policy covers risks or exposures only partially in this state and this state is the home state as defined by the federal Nonadmitted and Reinsurance Reform Act of 2010 (NRRA), the tax and service fee payable shall be computed on the gross premium. The tax must not exceed the tax rate where the risk or exposure is located. The insured shall withhold the amount of the tax and service fee from the amount of premium charged by and otherwise payable to the insurer for such insurance. On or before the 45th day following each calendar quarter after the insurance is procured, continued, or renewed, the insured shall make payable to the department the amount of the tax and make payable to the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office the amount of the service fee. The insured shall remit the tax and the service fee to the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office. The Florida Surplus Lines Service Office shall forward to the department the taxes, and any interest collected pursuant to subsection (5), within 10 days after receipt.
(4) If the insured fails to withhold from the premium the amount of tax and the service fee herein levied, the insured shall be liable for the amount thereof and shall pay that amount to the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office within the time stated in subsection (3).
(5) The tax imposed hereunder, if delinquent, shall bear interest at the rate of 6 percent per year, compounded annually.
(6) The tax shall be collectible from the insured by civil action brought by the department or by distraint.
1(7) Taxes and interest collected under this section shall be deposited into the General Revenue Fund. (8) This section does not abrogate or modify, and shall not be construed or deemed to abrogate or modify, any provision of s. 626.901, s. 626.902, s. 626.903, or any other provision of this code.
(9) This section does not authorize independent procurement of workers’ compensation insurance, life insurance, or health insurance.
(10) Each report and supporting information shall be in a computer-readable format as determined by the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office or shall be submitted on forms prescribed by the Florida Surplus Lines Service Office.