- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2018 Florida Statutes
Official list of special districts.
Official list of special districts.
189.061 Official list of special districts.—
(1)(a) The department shall maintain the official list of special districts. The official list of special districts shall include all special districts in this state and shall indicate the independent or dependent status of each district. All special districts on the list shall be sorted by county. The definitions in s. 189.012 shall be the criteria for determination of the independent or dependent status of each special district on the official list. The status of community development districts shall be independent on the official list of special districts.
(b) The official list shall exclude all districts declared inactive as provided in s. 189.062.
(2) The official list shall be maintained by the department using the information filed with the department by the special districts pursuant to this chapter. If a special district does not submit its written status statement required by s. 189.016(1) within the required time, the department may determine the status of the district. If the department determines the status, the department shall render its determination to an agent of the special district.
(3) The official list of special districts or the determination of status does not constitute final agency action pursuant to chapter 120. If the status of a special district on the official list is inconsistent with the status submitted by the district, the district may request the department to issue a declaratory statement setting forth the requirements necessary to resolve the inconsistency. If necessary, upon issuance of a declaratory statement by the department that is not appealed pursuant to chapter 120, the governing body of any special district receiving such a declaratory statement shall apply to the entity that originally established the district for an amendment to its charter correcting the specified defects in its original charter. This amendment shall be for the sole purpose of resolving inconsistencies between a district charter and the status of a district as it appears on the official list.
(4) The Department of Financial Services shall notify the department of each entity that attempts to report as a special district in the annual financial report pursuant to s. 218.32 that is not included on the official list of special districts. The Auditor General shall notify the department of each entity that attempts to report as a special district in an audit report issued pursuant to s. 218.39 that is not included on the official list of special districts. Upon notification by the Department of Financial Services or the Auditor General, the department shall determine whether the entity is a special district as defined in s. 189.012. If the entity is a special district, the department shall add the entity to the official list of special districts and shall notify each such entity that it is required to comply with s. 189.013.
(5) The official list of special districts shall be available on the department’s website and must include a link to the website of each special district that provides web-based access to the public of the information and documentation required under s. 189.069.
History.—s. 5, ch. 89-169; s. 78, ch. 92-279; s. 55, ch. 92-326; s. 9, ch. 96-324; s. 44, ch. 2001-266; s. 167, ch. 2003-261; s. 47, ch. 2010-102; s. 69, ch. 2011-142; s. 13, ch. 2014-22; s. 10, ch. 2016-22.
Note.—Former s. 189.4035.