2013 Florida Statutes
554.1021 Definitions.—As used in ss. 554.1011-554.115:
(1) “Boiler” means a closed vessel in which water or other liquid is heated, steam or vapor is generated, steam is superheated, or any combination of these functions is accomplished, under pressure or vacuum, for use external to itself, by the direct application of energy from the combustion of fuels or from electricity or solar energy. The term “boiler” includes fired units for heating or vaporizing liquids other than water where these units are separate from processing systems and are complete within themselves. The varieties of boilers are as follows:
(a) “Power boiler” means a boiler in which steam or other vapor is generated at a pressure of more than 15 psig.
(b) “High pressure, high temperature water boiler” means a water boiler operating at pressures exceeding 160 psig or temperatures exceeding 250 °F.
(c) “Heating boiler” means a steam or vapor boiler operating at pressures not exceeding 15 psig, or a hot water boiler operating at pressures not exceeding 160 psig or temperatures not exceeding 250 °F.
(d) “Hot water supply boiler” means a boiler or a lined storage water heater supplying heated water for use external to itself operating at a pressure not exceeding 160 psig or temperature not exceeding 250 °F.
(e) “Secondhand boiler” means a boiler that has changed ownership and location subsequent to its original installation and use.
(2) “Public assembly locations” include schools, day care centers, community centers, churches, theaters, hospitals, nursing and convalescent homes, stadiums, amusement parks, and other locations open to the general public.
(3) “Certificate inspection” means an inspection the report of which is used by the chief inspector to determine whether or not a certificate may be issued.
(4) “Certificate of compliance” means a document issued to the owner of a boiler which authorizes the owner to operate the boiler, subject to any restrictions endorsed thereon.
(5) “Certificate of competency” means a document issued to a person who has satisfied the minimum competency requirements for boiler inspectors under ss. 554.1011-554.115.
(6) “Department” means the Department of Financial Services.
(7) “A.S.M.E.” means the American Society of Mechanical Engineers.
History.—s. 2, ch. 87-361; s. 1, ch. 88-303; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 668, ch. 2003-261.