2006 Florida Statutes
Purpose of act.
751.01 Purpose of act.--The purposes of ss. 751.01-751.05 are to:
(1) Recognize that many minor children in this state live with and are well cared for by members of their extended families. The parents of these children have often provided for their care by placing them temporarily with another family member who is better able to care for them. Because of the care being provided the children by their extended families, they are not dependent children.
(2) Provide for the welfare of a minor child who is living with extended family members. At present, such family members are unable to give complete care to the child in their custody because they lack a legal document that explains and defines their relationship to the child, and they are unable effectively to consent to the care of the child by third parties.
(3) Provide temporary custody of a minor child to a family member having physical custody of the minor child to enable the custodian to:
(a) Consent to all necessary and reasonable medical and dental care for the child, including nonemergency surgery and psychiatric care;
(b) Secure copies of the child's records, held by third parties, that are necessary to the care of the child, including, but not limited to:
1. Medical, dental, and psychiatric records;
2. Birth certificates and other records; and
3. Educational records;
(c) Enroll the child in school and grant or withhold consent for a child to be tested or placed in special school programs, including exceptional education; and
(d) Do all other things necessary for the care of the child.
History.--s. 1, ch. 93-104; s. 1, ch. 2006-167.