- Florida Statutes Definitions Index (2022) [PDF]
- General Laws Conversion Table (2022) [PDF]
- Preface to the Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Table of Section Changes (2022) [PDF]
- Table Tracing Session Laws to Florida Statutes (2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1971-2022) [PDF]
- Index to Special and Local Laws (1845-1970) [PDF]
- Statute Search Tips
2011 Florida Statutes
514.021 Department authorization.—
(1) The department may adopt and enforce rules, which may include definitions of terms, to protect the health, safety, or welfare of persons using public swimming pools and bathing places. The department shall review and revise such rules as necessary, but not less than biennially. Sanitation and safety standards shall include, but not be limited to, matters relating to structure; appurtenances; operation; source of water supply; bacteriological, chemical, and physical quality of water in the pool or bathing area; method of water purification, treatment, and disinfection; lifesaving apparatus; measures to ensure safety of bathers; and measures to ensure the personal cleanliness of bathers.
(2) The department may not establish by rule any regulation governing the design, alteration, modification, or repair of public swimming pools and bathing places which has no impact on the health, safety, and welfare of persons using public swimming pools and bathing places. Further, the department may not adopt by rule any regulation governing the construction, erection, or demolition of public swimming pools and bathing places. It is the intent of the Legislature to preempt those functions to the Florida Building Commission through adoption and maintenance of the Florida Building Code. The department shall provide technical assistance to the commission in updating the construction standards of the Florida Building Code which govern public swimming pools and bathing places. Further, the department is authorized to conduct plan reviews, to issue approvals, and to enforce the special-occupancy provisions of the Florida Building Code which apply to public swimming pools and bathing places in conducting any inspections authorized by this chapter. This subsection does not abrogate the authority of the department to adopt and enforce appropriate sanitary regulations and requirements as authorized in subsection (1).
History.—ss. 2, 14, ch. 85-173; s. 65, ch. 87-225; s. 4, ch. 91-429; s. 49, ch. 2000-141; s. 48, ch. 2000-242; s. 27, ch. 2000-367; s. 34, ch. 2001-186; s. 3, ch. 2001-372.