2006 Florida Statutes
Self-service gasoline stations; attendants; regulations.
526.141 Self-service gasoline stations; attendants; regulations.--
(1) This section authorizes the establishment of self-service gasoline stations.
(2) A "self-service gasoline station" shall be that portion of property where flammable and combustible liquids used as motor fuels are stored and subsequently dispensed from fixed, approved dispensing equipment into the fuel tanks of motor vehicles by persons other than the service station attendant.
(3) All self-service gasoline stations shall have at least one attendant on duty while the station is open to the public. The attendant's primary function shall be the proper administration, supervision, observation, and control of the dispensing of flammable and combustible liquids used as motor fuels while such liquids are actually being dispensed. It shall be the responsibility of the attendant to prevent the dispensing of flammable and combustible liquids used as motor fuels into portable containers unless such container bears a seal of approval of a nationally recognized testing agency; to control sources of ignition; and immediately to handle accidental spills and fire extinguishers if needed. The attendant on duty shall be mentally and physically capable of performing the functions and assuming the responsibility prescribed in this subsection.
(4)(a) The "attendant control area" is that area reserved for the placing of the attendant, which shall be not more than 100 feet from the dispensing area and shall contain the fire-extinguishment equipment and emergency controls.
(b) The "dispensing area" is that area where the pumps used to dispense flammable and combustible liquids used as motor fuels are located. The dispensing area shall at all times be in clear view of the attendant, and the placing or allowing of any obstruction to vision between the dispensing area and the attendant control area shall be prohibited. The attendant shall at all times be able to communicate with persons in the dispensing area. Emergency controls shall be installed at a location acceptable to the authority having jurisdiction, but controls shall not be more than 100 feet from dispensers. Operating instructions and warning signs shall be conspicuously posted in the dispensing area.
(5)(a) Every full-service gasoline station offering self-service at a lesser cost shall require an attendant employed by the station to dispense gasoline from the self-service portion of the station to any motor vehicle properly displaying an exemption parking permit as provided in s. 316.1958 or s. 320.0848 or a license plate issued pursuant to s. 320.084, s. 320.0842, s. 320.0843, or s. 320.0845 when the person to whom such permit has been issued is the operator of the vehicle and such service is requested. Such stations shall prominently display a decal no larger than 8 square inches on the front of all self-service pumps clearly stating the requirements of this subsection and the penalties applicable to violations of this subsection. The Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services shall enforce this requirement.
(6) All self-service equipment used to dispense gasoline shall be approved by a nationally recognized testing agency for its intended use.
(7) The Chief Financial Officer, under her or his powers, duties, and functions as State Fire Marshal, shall adopt rules for the administration and enforcement of this section, except for subsection (5) which shall be administered and enforced by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services.
History.--ss. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ch. 74-162; s. 1, ch. 80-205; s. 1, ch. 85-323; s. 1, ch. 86-117; s. 2, ch. 89-233; s. 24, ch. 90-330; s. 69, ch. 91-220; s. 719, ch. 97-103; s. 639, ch. 2003-261.